- Enroll Now
- Forms and Documents
This disability plan is specifically designed for BCTGM Local 1 members to help them protect their income and assets in the event of a disability.
Some Questions to Think About
- Could you afford to take a six-month vacation? If you can’t, do you think you could afford living through a six-month illness or injury?
- How would you and your family pay your bills without your income?
- How long would your savings last if you were unable to work because of an illness or accident and your income stopped?
- If you were sick or injured in an accident today, would your family’s standard of living be affected?
- What impact would a long-term illness or injury have on your ability to save for retirement?
- This plan is specifically designed to benefit the members of BCTGM Local 1. As a current member, you are eligible to enroll in this group coverage.
If you joined BCTGM Local 1 within the last 90 days, you are within your open enrollment period and can join with no personal health statement.
If you have been a member of BCTGM Local 1 for longer than 90 days, you are considered a late applicant and must complete a Late Applicant Enrollment Health Statement. You can expect the insurance carrier to make a determination within 14 business days. You will receive a letter from the insurance carrier to advise if your enrollment has been accepted.
- You must be actively working a minimum of 30 hours per week to enroll and maintain this coverage.
As a plan participant, you must notify Group Benefit Associates:
- Within 30 days of any layoff or work stoppage and again within 30 days of your return to work
- Immediately when your bank account or credit card information changes for the purpose of premium collection
- Immediately when your wage rate changes
- Within 30 days of any disability and 30 days of your return to work
- Within 30 days if you withdraw from the Union
- Within 30 days of your retirement
Failure to notify Group Benefit Associates in a timely manner of any of the above listed changes can affect your participation in the plan or the benefits that you are eligible to receive under the plan.
Group Benefit Associates has teamed together with Guardian Life Insurance Company to bring you this program. Guardian is the insurance carrier for the policy and processes all claims. Group Benefit Associates is the third-party administrator responsible for premium collection and remittance.
Short Term Disability (STD)
- Benefit Begins: 15 day non-occupational accidental injury, 15 day non-occupational sickness, or pregnancy.
- Benefit Amount: 60% of your salary up to $250 per week
- Benefit Period: 24 weeks
Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Benefit Begins: 180 days following non-occupational accidental injury, sickness, or pregnancy
- Benefit Amount: 60% of monthly covered earnings
- Maximum Benefit: $5,000 per month less deductible sources of income and disability earnings
- Minimum Benefit: $100 per month
- Benefit Period: Lesser of 5 years or to age 70
- Limited Pay Periods: Disabilities due to mental illness and disabilities primarily based on self-reported symptoms are limited to 24 months of benefits during your lifetime.
During the first 12 months of coverage, no STD or LTD benefits will be paid for a disability that is due to a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is an injury or sickness for which you received medical treatment, consultation, diagnostic measures, prescribed drugs or medicines, or for which you followed treatment recommendations, during the three months for STD, six months for LTD, prior to your effective date of coverage. This provision also applies if you did not consult a physician when an ordinarily prudent person would have. Exclusions may vary by state.
Short-Term Disability (STD)
- For STD benefit of $250 per week, the monthly premium is $32.50.
Long-Term Disability (LTD)
Long Term Disability premiums are based on your age and wage rate. To calculate your LTD premium, enter your Birthdate and Wage Rate below. If you want to do a manual calculation, see the infomation at the bottom of this page.
Your age bracket will be predetermined on the first of the month of your birthday. You will also experience a premium change if you have experienced a change in your pay rate.
Cancellation Requests: Cancellation requests must be received in writing by mail, fax, or e-mail. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of the month in which they are received.
Premium Waived if Disabled: Premium will not need to be paid if you are receiving benefits. Please contact us within 30 days of your disability so that we may waive your premium while you are not working.
Premium Payments: Your initial premium due will be collected within 5 business days of your enrollment. Subsequent premiums will be collected automatically from a Visa, MasterCard or direct debit from a checking account on the 15th of each month. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the charge will occur on the next business day.
LTD Manual Calculation
Please follow the steps below to manually calculate your LTD monthly premium:
|Enter your hourly wage rate||
|Multiply by 2000||
|Divide by 12||
|LTD Rate from Table Below||____.__||(B)|
|Monthly Earnings * LTD Rate (A)*(B)||
|Divide by 100||
*If your monthly earnings exceed $8,333 (maximum monthly covered earnings) then use $8,333 as your monthly earnings to calculate your premium.
LTD Rates per $100 of pre-disability earnings:
|Age||Rate per $100|
Note: If you have been a member of BCTGM Local 1 for longer than 90 days, you are considered a late applicant and must complete a Late Applicant Enrollment Health Statement. You will receive a letter from the insurance carrier to advise if your enrollment has been accepted.
The following PDF documents are provided for your reference:
The disability income insurance claim form is composed of three separate sections that need to be completed by you, your physician and your employer.
- Employee Section: Please be sure to complete this part clearly and sign where indicated.
- Physician Section: Please have the physician that disabled you complete this part. If you have seen additional physicians, please also include their names, addresses, phone numbers and fax numbers on a separate sheet of paper.
- Employer Section: Even though your policy is purchased through the union, your benefit is based on the income you receive from your particular employer. Your employer assumes no liability or responsibility for your claim by completing this form for you.
Failure to provide proper information and documentation will delay your claim so it is very important the claim form is complete and clear. Once complete, forward the form to our office by mail or fax.
How Your Claim Will Be Handled:
Once received by Group Benefit Associates, we will begin waiving your premium as of the date of your disability. The processing of your claim will be handled by Guardian and therefore you may inquire with them regarding the status of your claim. Please note that Group Benefit Associates does not have access to information regarding claims determination or benefit payments.
The Guardian Claims Customer Support:
Premium billing questions are handled by Group Benefit Associates at 800-450-1271.